TOEFL iBT Test
1. What is the TOEFL iBT test?
TOEFL iBT test, designed and administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), is a test of English as a foreign language. The test evaluates all four English skills – listening, reading, speaking and writing – in an academic context.
- The TOEFL iBT test is one of the world’s most highly regarded and widely accepted test to confirm that a student has the English language skills needed to succeed in an academic setting. Taking the test is an essential part of students’ study abroad preparation as well as an advantage in their admission into prestigious domestic universities.
- The TOEFL iBT test is preferred by international institutions because of its objectivity in undergraduate and graduate admissions.
- The test is computer-based, which helps guarantee its reliability in assessing candidates’ skills.
2. Why take the TOEFL iBT test?
- It’s more preferred. Four out of five admissions officers prefer the TOEFL test.
- It’s more convenient. There are around 4,500 TOEFL iBT test centers in 165 nations worldwide so you can easily find a test center and test date that work for you.
- It’s more popular. More than 35 million people worldwide have chosen the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency.
- It makes you stand out. 90% of TOEFL test takers surveyed got into their 1st or 2nd choice university
- It’s fairly scored. The TOEFL iBT test is delivered entirely online. The Reading and Listening sections are scored by computer. The Speaking and Writing sections are scored by a combination of automated AI scoring and multiple, highly trained human raters to offer a complete and accurate picture of your ability
- It offers benefits of computer-based testing. Such benefits include the reduction in stress caused by face-to-face interviewing, hence minimizes the rater bias and helps you feel more at ease when taking the test.
- It offers comprehensive assessment. The TOEFL iBT test is the only English-language test to use integrated tasks combining the 4 academic English skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing. This ensures that applicants are equipped with the skills needed for success in a higher education classroom.
3. Who should take TOEFL iBT test?
- Students planning to study at a higher education institution (both for Undergraduate and Graduate courses)
- Students entering and exiting English-language learning programs
- Students applying for scholarships and cultural exchange programs
- English-language learners wishing to evaluate their English language proficiency
- Students and workers applying for visas
More than 35 million people worldwide have chosen the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency.
4. Who accepts TOEFL iBT scores?
The TOEFL iBT test is accepted worldwide by more than 11,000 universities and institutions in over 150 countries.
TOEFL iBT scores are also used for visa application in Australia, New Zealand and England.
Find a list of the universities around the world that accept TOEFL iBT scores here.
5. What is the structure of TOEFL iBT test?
The TOEFL iBT test is administered via the Internet at ETS-authorized test centers around the world. It is a three-hour test with four sections, namely Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. The scores will be available 10 days after you take the test.
Structure of the TOEFL iBT test
|Section||Time Limit||Questions||Tasks||Score Scale|
|Reading||54–72 minutes||30-40||Read 3-4 passages and respond to questions||0-30|
|Listening||41–57 minutes||28-39||Answer questions about brief lectures (3-4 lectures) or classroom discussions (2-3 discussions)||0-30|
|Speaking||17 minutes||4||Talk about a familiar topic (1 questions) and discuss material you read and listened to (3 questions)||0-30|
|Writing||50 minutes||2||Read a short passage and listen to a short lecture, then write in response to what you read and listened to (1 question), write an essay based on personal experience or opinion in response to a writing topic (1 question)||0-30|
* You can find TOEFL iBT sample questions HERE
6. How to register for the TOEFL iBT test
Candidates can register for the test by clicking the link below:
As of August 1, 2019, all TOEFL iBT candidates will benefit from enhancements to the test format and score reporting, and easier registration. Read more.
7. TOEFL Practice Online
TOEFL Practice Online tests are the only official practice tests offered by ETS that allow you to experience what it’s like to take the real TOEFL iBT test. Click the link below to find out more.
8. TOEFL iBT Score Verification Service
To learn more about TOEFL iBT Score Verification Service, please contact IIG Vietnam’s offices or hotline 1900 636 929.
Institutions wishing to use this service can send a request letter (with authorized signature and stamp) to IIG Vietnam at [email protected].